Thursday, December 20, 2012

Introductions


Let Me Introduce Myself…

(Michele and I)

My blog is a little over a year old, and two things just hit me.  #1 My high school English teacher would flip out if he knew I enjoyed writing and have posted my works for the rest of the free world to see.  #2 What really struck me was that I have never formally introduced myself to the running community that I follow and that follows me.  So without giving out to much personal data which, the Nigeria auto scammers, or some Amazon women’s tribe, could use to kid nap me, well maybe I could leak some info to that group from Amazon…here goes. 

My name is Brian and I like to run.  I’m married to a wonderfully supportive wife, who treats me better then I need to be treated, named Michele.  I have two grown kids, a Fur kid named Hanna (miniature schnauzer) and one Grandson, he is the best Grandson on the planet, just saying.  I work full time as a Mechanical Training Instructor for a Fortune 500 company and I’m retired military.  I’ve been running steady for nearly 12 years, before that it was hit and miss…mostly miss.  I love God, my wife, my family, my job, The Cleveland Browns and Running!

Following a meet the runner interview format, here is an insiders look at me!

FIRST RUNNING MEMORY:
I remember running and winning a shuttle contest back in elementary school, taking home that little blue ribbon…I was so proud.  It must have been between first and forth grades.

RUNNING INSPIRATIONS:
I’m inspired by the great accomplishments of elite athletes and the personal victories of regular people…if they can do it, I can get out the door too.

FAVORITE MOVIE:
The Star Wars and Batman series

LAST BOOK READ:
“Run” by Dean Karnazes and I’m presently reading “14 Mins” by Alberto Salazar.

FAVORITE ICE CREAM:
I LOVE me some OREO Blizzard, just typing OREO Blizzard makes me happy!

PRE-RACE FEELINGS:
I get a bit jumpy.

CURRENT CAR:
Well…daily driver is a 2008 Dodge Caliber, but I have 2 other “toy” cars (1970 Dodge Challenger T/A and a 1971 Austin Mini, British spec right hand drive convertible) and a 1 ton truck for pulling our RV.

(1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 1 of 2400, 22k original miles)

FAVORITE MEAL:
Pizza, I could eat it 24/7, much to my wife’s protest.

GREASTEST SPORTS MOMENT:  I am a monster Cleveland Browns fan, have been since 1971.  As my military retirement drew near, I wrote a letter to the Cleveland Browns asking if they would fly my retirement flag over the stadium.  The team I had supported for nearly 37 years did me one better. The Browns hosted my wife and I for a Monday Night Football game vs the N.Y. Giants.  We won, and I cried like a little boy.

(Michele and I and Browns Win!)

FAVORITE MARATHON (I’ve run): 
Richmond 2005, my marathon PR and my first marathon back in the states after our overseas military assignment.

FAVORITE ATHLETES: 
I was let down by a “7 time somebody,” so now it would be any member of the U.S. Track team, but I really enjoy following the U.S. marathon teams.

BEST VACATION:
My wife, Son and I went to Rome for Thanksgiving one year.  We spent 3 days walking around the city.  Although tough on the legs/feet it is the best way to “really” see the city.  So much history…was an awesome trip.

(Anthony, Michele and I 2004)

LAST VACATION:
My wife and I take a lot of mini trips, three days here, four days there, but our last real “vacation” would have to be the KLOVE Christian Cruise we went on last year.

WHAT I HOPE 2013 HOLDS FOR ME ON THE RUNNING FRONT:
I really want to take my running to the “next” level.  I run a solid sub 4:30 marathon, but would like to be a sub 4:00 runner.  I hope to get there before the clock tells me it is too late.

Well that is me in a nutshell; I hope to see you out on the race circuit.  On “the race circuit” that sounds so professional, If you see me on the circuit, at the Olympic trails or NYC/Chicago…better not tell my wife because I maxed out our credit card.  If we do cross paths say Hello, the running world is a small engaging community and I enjoy meeting and chatting with other runners.

Run On!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment