Monday, May 21, 2012

A 20 Mile Half Marathon......What?

Yesterday (20 May) I ran the "Run For The Dream" Half Marathon in Colonial Williamsbug and it equaled 20 miles. Say in the name of Garmin was the course that far off?  Well there is some question how accurate the course was, but no it was not that far off.


One of my yearly goals is to run a 20 miler every month to stay in marathon shape.  Needing a 20 miler for May, and at the persuasion of a friend, I decided to run the half +7 miles as a supported long run.  Two friends (Susan, and Lloyd) and I arrived at the break of dawn and banged out 7 miles before race start.  We timed our 7 mile run so well we reached the starting line with about two minutes to spare.


Not wanting to bore you with the mile by mile details I will share my goal was to complete the half in under 2 hours.  I had not run a sub 2 hour half in nearly 5 years.  With 7 miles already on my lungs and legs I knew this might be a bit of a challenge, but I also knew that it would be a good test of my ability to run hard during the closing stages of a long run.  I was really surprised that I felt strong during the run, on a very hilly course, I was able to keep up a good pace and never felt weak.


I'll brag just a little to say, I ran the "Run For The Dream" in 1 hour, 58 minutes and 38 seconds, placing 382 out of 1441 runners.

"For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7


4 comments:

  1. Dude, that's intense. You are a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats Brian! That's quite a day of running! Hope you'll join us June 2, 2013.
    ~Kelly, RFTD Event Director

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly, enjoyed the race and will be back? Ever think of a marathon option?

      Brian

      Delete