Friday, May 4, 2012

My First Guest Post…


One of the greatest aspects of running is the community of runners.  No matter where I run or where I chat on the internet I find a group of people who feel like I do, who think like I do and who understand why I run.

On Twitter I bumped into Katie Key, she was very encouraging and her blog is a good read.  While I followed her exploits during a 24 hour relay run I thought, “I bet my friends/followers would like to get to know her.”  Check out her "about me page," very inspiring!

Introducing: Katie Key from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.


How did you start and how long have you been running?  I started running the summer after I graduated college, about 8 years.  I started because I found myself with too much mid-section and too much free time after work.  I decided to put that free time to good use! 

What is your favorite pair of shoes? For the road, I love, love, LOVE the Saucony Kinvara.  I have had 3 pairs of the Kinvara 1, 1 pair of the Kinvara 2, and I am anxiously awaiting the release of the Kinvara 3.  For trail shoes, I simply adore the Brooks Cascadia.  I currently have the Cascadia 7.  I feel like they offer enough support for my ankles without adding too much weight to the shoe.

What was your first race?  My first race ever was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Greenville, SC.  Though I registered in the untimed category, that race proved to the “gateway drug” for my “running habit.”

What were your thoughts when you crossed the finish line? I remember crossing the finish line and thinking, “Huh, that really wasn’t so bad! I bet I could do that again…and a little bit faster!”  That day, the race was not really about the race itself, but about supporting an organization that I really stand behind and support.  However, races that followed proved to be in pursuit of much more “selfish” goals.
  
What is your proudest running accomplishment?  I have run some really awesome races and had some really wonderful experiences.  However, I’ll never forget this one time my friend, Denise, and I went out for a run on a random Tuesday night.  We got to talking and ended up running 13.1 miles…almost exactly.  It was so easy and so effortless and SO fun.  After we finished, I remember saying to her, “Dude, who runs a half marathon on a random Tuesday night??  WE DO!”

Do you run alone or with a group?  Why?  I think running alone and with a group are important and I do both.  I usually hit up group “social” runs during the week and I do my long runs solo on the weekends.  Running shorter distances with a group seems to work better for me and most of the groups I like the most meet on week nights anyway.  I like doing my weekend long run alone because I can throw on my headphones, set my Garmin, and just go!  I don’t have to worry about keeping pace with anyone else, pacing a friend, or anything like that.  I can just focus on me and my goals for that day. 

What races do you have on your calendar for this year?  Not currently registered for any races, I am keeping an eye on the AJC Peachtree Road Race in July, Hood to Coast in August, Rock n Roll Savannah in November. 

What is the longest distance you have run?  The longest distance I have ever run is 28 miles.  That was a good day.

If you where an animal what kind would you be and why?  I am a shameless LSU Tigers fan (my alma mater!), so I would probably pick to be a tiger.  GEAUX TIGERS! 

What other forms of exercise do you do?  I love cycling.  Last summer, I dabbled in swimming in order to do a sprint triathlon.  I quickly learned that I am NOT a natural swimmer.  I recently ordered TurboFire (from the same distributor as P90X) and It seems to incorporate a lot of plyometrics, hoping that will help me strengthen my legs and help increase my running speed. 

Who would win in a marathon, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Lou Ferrigno?  I’m going to say…Lou Ferrigno!  I love The Incredible Hulk!  HULK SMASH! 

When Katie is not running (or working), you can find her blogging away at katieRUNSthis.com.  She loves helping new runners find their way in this sport and enjoys encouraging and motivating others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment