Monday, December 19, 2011

Questions people ask me?

When people find out I run and run a lot they ask some interesting questions:

Why do I run?
I have no idea, I say so I can eat, and that is true but I do enjoy the simple side of just putting one foot in front of the other.

How many miles do you normally run in a month?
Well that depends, if I’m training for an event or not.  If I’m gearing up for a marathon I try to keep my mileage over 125 miles…the most miles I’ve run in a month is 176.

How do I start running?
I’m not a coach and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  But I will say this….start slow, listen to your body and follow one of the many “approved” training plans out there.

How do you avoid injury?
Listen to your body…rest is just as important as the miles your logging, when you need a day off take it, I follow a 10% rule, do not jump your mileage or run distances more then 10%.  Get the right shoes for your feet/stride and do not push yourself to far today and pay for it tomorrow.  It takes much longer to recover then it did to get injured.

Do you listen to music when you run?
NO……I like to hear the world around me, I want to hear the car before it kills me.

Can I run a marathon?
Yes, if you have the desire, if you have the time to put into training…you can run a marathon.  I would say that all training plans recommend you have a solid fitness base before you attempt a marathon.

Where is the most interesting place you have run?
I spent a year at Thule Air Base, Greenland...600 miles above the Artic circle and 600 miles below the North Pole.  I spent a lot of my running time running indoors but when spring hit and I was able to get outside...I went on a few adventure runs.  During one run I ran from Thule main base up to the Ballistic Missile Early Warning Site (BMEWS) and along the Ice-Pack.  Once in a life time run....later they told me there where Polar Bears on base.  Gee thanks!



My full running blog can be read here:



No comments:

Post a Comment