Thursday, March 14, 2013

Next Up

Next Up, Won't You Join Me?

Shamrock Marathon

Monument Ave 10k

VA 24hr Run for Cancer

Cleveland Marathon

Then a long hot summer....

Air Force Marathon

JFK 50 Miler

Seashore Nature Trail 50k

Planning a running calendar is much like trying to plan a marriage or a military deployment.  Timing is everything.  Not only do you have to ensure the budget and time commitments are in order, but also that races don't conflict with each other and recovery time in between.

Another major consideration is driving distance and vacation time.  An out of town race could mean another vacation day used traveling to and from.  Whereas a local race allows an easy commute, unfortunately once you have run all the local events your eye does start to wonder and "Marathon Lust" is born.  Most out of town races are run in conjunction with a family vacation or some other pre-planned event.  But this year "Marathon Lust" is taking over and I have an out of town race or two (okay maybe three) planned as stand alone events.

Then there is the race bling...  Yes I'm a sucker for the bling.  I can't say I've selected a race solely for the bling, but those shinny medals on display at a running expo sure draw my attention.

What things do you consider when selecting a race?  Lets hear about it.



 

2 comments:

  1. You've got a busy race schedule, I know the feeling! I get a headache when I look at my race calendar, lots of planning went into it, and it's going to be hectic. Timing really is everything, I need to account for time off of work (Both of my jobs), money for gas/hotel/food/race fees, need to account for what my "A" goal races are and make sure I have enough recovery for them. (basically you and I are on the same page on race planning), Most of my vacations or trips are centered around races, my Fiance also races as well as his twin so we are a busy clan!

    P.S. I will be at Cleveland Marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot goes into marathon planning, running maybe the easy part.

    Good luck, see you in Cleveland!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete