Monday, March 26, 2012

I Failed…











40 some years ago, I failed at dancing….no two step at the ice cream social.

35 years ago, I failed at swimming…I could not get past the movie Jaws, I’m sure that shark got into Lake Erie!

20 years ago, I failed at downhill snow skiing…almost went off the side of a mountain, and my wife just laughed….mmmm.

And today, I failed at the first day of the one hundred push up challenge.  Oh how defeated.  But unlike dancing, swimming with the sharks and the Olympic downhill…I will not give up this time.

I told myself after the Shamrock marathon that I wanted to try something else to help improve my running performance.  If you have been following my blog then you’ll know I do not do much other then run for exercise.  And not having a lot of extra time, I needed something I could do without taking up much extra time out of my day.  Then remembering my military days, I was part of a unit that would “drop and knock out push ups” at the top of every hour during the duty day.  So I figured I could cram in some pushups during my breaks at work.  Sometime while pondering this I ran across the push up challenge after googling proper push up form.  Accessing the web page,  I read the rules and took the introduction test (I knocked out 27 push ups) and thought this is going to be a breeze!

Well today 26 March 2012 was day one…the push up work out for today was five sets,  with 10, 12, 7, 7 and 9+ push up reps. respectively.  Dropping to the floor I knocked out the first set, with proper form mind you, not the whippy short extension push ups.  Then with minimal rest I completed the next three sets and on for the final set of 9+.  I figured I had day one in the bag.  3-2-1 go…the first 4 push ups came pretty easy then the fatigue set in and it was all I could do to squeeze out the final 5.  How I wanted the 9+ but the best I could do was 9…so FAIL!

But have no fear…I’ll be back on it come Wednesday!

I will not fail.

1 comment:

  1. It's not a failure at all. I've started and stopped this program many times, and it's a learning experience every time. Dropping to the knees is just a push-up variation. Just keep plugging away, and learn from every day doing this.

    ReplyDelete