Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Favorite Runs Chania

Chania, Crete

My 20 year military career landed me in some beautiful locations.  At a few of these I was fortunate enough to have had some down time where I was able to sneak in a run or two.  One of these places was Chania, Crete.  Located on the north side of the island of Crete, I ventured here a number of times to do some...lets just say "Special work." And on a quite morning on our trip I was able to sneak away with a fellow runner and log some miles along the old town roads of Chania.



Chania is a small fishing and tourist town on the Aegean Sea.  That morning my run took me along the quiet streets in and away from the city.  But what I remember the most about this run was the lighthouse that juts out into the bay.

As this 5+ mile run drew to a end in the city center, I decided to see how close we could get to the lighthouse itself.  Winding thu the city streets I was surprised that we made it to a walk way which gave us access to the barrier wall.  This barrier wall provided us a 200 yard run right into the bay itself.  Running along the top of this wall with water on both sides of you was breathtaking and a bit of a challenge with its uneven surface.  At the end of this wall we landed right at the foot of the lighthouse.  Surprisingly we had direct access to the doorway and stairs that led up the lighthouse.  Being the adventurer, I started up the stairs and got about half way up when it became to dark to go any further.


Chania is a wonderful, and welcoming city.  I often think back to that early morning run and would highly recommend a visit if you are ever considering a Greek island vacation.


The years past fast...who is this guy?


No comments:

Post a Comment